Did you know?
Did you know that 85 years ago today, Billboard Magazine published its first ever pop music chart?
Billboard itself first came into existence on November 1, 1894, although it was still known at the time as Billboard Advertising.
By the turn of the century, it had transformed into a publication focusing on outdoor entertainment, including burlesque shows, carnivals, circuses, fairs, and vaudeville shows.
After evolving along with the entertainment industry, the magazine started to cover motion pictures as well, but when another publication went solely after that particular beat – an ironic decision, considering that the publication’s name was Variety – Billboard shifted its focus to one devoted strictly to music.
As a result, they added what was at the time called a “music hit parade,” but we know it now as the Hot 100.
Quote of the day:
“We will open the book. Its pages are blank. We are going to put words on them ourselves. The book is called opportunity and its first chapter is New Year.”Edith Lovejoy Pierce
Today’s Weather Report:
5 Wisdom Seed for today:
- Self-Improvement and success go hand in hand. Taking the steps to make yourself a better and more well-rounded individual will prove to be a wise decision. Frank Long, A Better You
- Each of us experiences defeats in life. We can transform defeat into victory if we learn from life’s whuppings. Les Brown
- Pain can change you, but that doesn’t mean it has to be a bad change. Take that pain and turn it into wisdom. Dalai Lama
- To be wise, we must seek Jesus, for we will not find wisdom apart from him. Kim Brenneman, Home Management
- Meditation is about viewing the world with great clarity so you can make wise decisions. It will help you make the appropriate action with regard to things that you have to change. Mia Conrad, Social Anxiety
Jokes of the Day:
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
The Driver has Solomon’s Wisdom: Two women in a bus were fighting bitterly over the last seat available. The conductor already tried to intervene but to no avail. So the driver shouted, “Let the ugly one take the seat!” Both women stood for the rest of the journey.
10 tips to exercise safely:
Exercising regularly has wide-ranging physical, emotional and social health benefits.
You need to exercise safely to remain healthy and injury-free.
If it’s safe and painless, you’re more likely to stick to it! Safety is about using common sense, understanding basic techniques and listening to your body.
See your doctor for a check-up before embarking on a physical activity program. Your doctor, physiotherapist or local sporting club can offer you tips about staying safe while exercising.
Here are some tips to stay safe and injury-free:
- Be aware of your body. Think about how the particular exercise is making you feel. If something doesn’t feel right, stop immediately and seek medical advice.
- Warm up and cool down. Try slow stretches and go through the motions of your sport or activity before starting. Cool down with slow stretching.
- Pace yourself. Have at least one recovery day each week to rest. If you are experiencing pain, rest until the pain has gone.
- Mix it up. Try other sports and exercises to reduce the risk of overtraining.
- Strap or tape. If a joint is prone to injury, consider strapping or taping it before exercising. Even better, see an exercise physiologist or physiotherapist to obtain a program to strengthen the injured area and get advice on proper taping techniques.
- Stay hydrated. You can lose around one and a half litres of fluid for every hour of exercise; so drink water before, during and after a session.
- Be weather aware. Take it easier in hot weather and wear clothing and sunscreen to protect yourself from the elements.
- Do it right. Try to get the technique right from the beginning, to ensure you are using your muscles correctly.
- Check your gear. Make sure your shoes and equipment fit properly and are right for the activity. Look after your equipment and check it regularly for safety.
- Be sensible, especially at night or in secluded areas. Take a friend or your dog, stick to well-lit areas and wear bright or light-reflective clothing so drivers can see you.
Gospotainment is proving very popular but we are always striving to improve the experience for you.
Concerning this write-up, If you have any suggestions for inclusion please leave a comment below.